If you have been looking for a new mattress recently, you may have come across so many terms that suddenly this simple task must have started looking daunting and unachievable. Memory Foam, natural latex mattress, feature mattress, temperature control… the list goes on and on. There are so many innovations that have taken place over the last few years that you may get a feeling, you have been living in a cave all this while!
No need to worry anymore, as we have you covered. You can find all kinds of information related to mattresses that you may require like what is memory foam, which is the best latex mattress, and other such info on our website. In the current context however, we focus on the difference between memory foam and latex mattresses.
Let us first look at these two types of mattresses.
Memory Foam Mattress
First things, what is a memory foam mattress? To put it in simple words, it is a mattress made up of memory foam! So the question becomes, what is memory foam? The memory foam is polyurethane with a cellular structure that has been developed with the help of chemicals. The biggest advantage of a single memory foam mattress is that it takes the shape of your body as you sleep on it. Thus, even if two or more people are sharing a bed, the mattress is capable of taking the shape of each individual as they sleep, ensuring comfort and rest for all.
The other buzzword in the world of mattresses is latex. This is again a material that has become very popular in recent times thanks to its properties that are quite in contrast to memory foam. As we have seen, memory foam has slow recovery time and maintains the shape of the object placed on it for a longer period. Latex mattresses, on the other hand, have extremely quick recovery time and bounce, leading to immediately returning to their original shape.
There are several types of latex mattresses available in the market like
- Natural Latex Mattress – This is the one most commonly used thanks to the fact that it is made out of natural rubber. Thus, for people who prefer all-natural options, this is an instant choice. Add to that its low manufacturing cost leading to lower prices and you have the perfect option of a mattress.
- Synthetic Latex Mattress – This variant, as the name suggests, is made of synthetic materials using chemical processes. However, the benefits remain almost at par with the natural latex mattress, with the exception that the bounce for a synthetic latex mattress is slightly lesser.
- Talalay Latex Mattress – This is also a synthetic latex that is lighter and has much more scope for air passage. These two properties make it a great choice as a mattress, since it allows the mattress to be carried around quite easily as well as allows for better air circulation.
- Dunlop Latex Mattress – The last category that we discuss here, differs from the Talalay variant in that it is heavier and is denser. However, this variant comes with the advantage of durability and features among the longer-lasting options.
Similarities between the Memory Foam and Latex Mattresses
Several questions can be bothering someone who is looking to buy a mattress and has been looking at memory foam and latex mattresses like are memory foam mattresses good or which foam mattress is best? Before delving into these questions, it is best to understand the similarities between the memory foam mattress and latex mattresses.
Both these are good to provide back support. It is a scientific fact that the human spine is naturally arched. While sleeping if this natural posture is not maintained, there will be extra pressure on joints and other body parts, leading to backaches, cramps etc. Hence, it is extremely critical that the mattress you use provides good back and posture support. This is the biggest advantage of using either Latex Mattresses or Memory Foam Mattresses.
Differences between Memory Foam and Latex Mattresses
The similarity of the two most popular types of mattresses starts and ends at posture support. However, there are numerous differences between both, which makes it easier to compare and choose the best option for your specific needs. Some of the notable differences are
- Recovery Period – As we saw earlier when we were discussing what is foam mattress, the recovery period of the two differ quite a lot. The recovery period of the memory foam mattress is much higher and it retains the shape of the object placed on it much longer. This leads to perfect support and rest during the night.
The latex mattress on the other hand has a much-reduced recovery period and greater bounce. This means that the excess pressure on the back or other bones is balanced out providing much firmer support.
- Motion Transfer to the Partner – A major challenge faced by anyone sharing the bed with a partner, children or even pets is that the movement of the partner keeps disturbing them as well. So if you have a fidgety partner, who keeps tossing and turning through the night, chances are – so are you. Your sleep will keep getting disturbed.
The situation remains the same with a latex mattress, i.e. there is complete motion transfer due to the bounce. The memory foam mattress on the other hand completely isolates the sleeping position by retaining it for a longer time. Thus, there is minimal motion transfer for anyone using a memory foam mattress. If you want a peaceful sleeping experience through the night, even with a fidgety partner, memory foam mattresses are the way to go.
Choosing Memory Foam Mattresses over Latex Mattresses
Having read so far, you surely would have got an answer to your initial question - is memory foam mattress good? We have seen so far what is a memory foam mattress, what are its properties and how is it different from the Latex mattresses. Now, let us look at whether it is better than Latex mattresses?
A mattress is always a personal choice as the needs of two people cannot be the same. Thus, both types of mattresses have their advantages. The memory foam mattress is however preferred by a vast majority, thanks to its properties. Whether you sleep on your back, stomach or sides, there is always a variant of memory foam mattress fit for you.
As you sleep, the mattress retains your shape proportionately distributing the weight of individual body parts. Thus the heavier part like shoulders gets more support as compared to a lighter part like your arms. This distribution also takes care of the natural alignment of your back with the other parts like shoulders, head, and hips.
Overall, the memory foam mattress maintains your posture and also gives you a feeling of weightlessness like you get inside the water. This relaxes your body completely, giving you the best sleeping experiences, you have had in the longest time. Add to it the bonus of not getting disturbed by your sleeping partner’s motion and you have the perfect solution for your sleeping needs!