Good mornings are really important to kick start your journey to success. Good morning are those when you wake up fresh and energized for the long day ahead. And the main requirement for a good morning is a good night's sleep.
If you wake up to mornings that feel drowsy and tiring, that may be due to the lack of comfortable sleep experience. If you experience lower back pain while waking up and all through the day it may be due to the reason that you are not using the right mattress for you and your body. It may be a huge sign that you need to change your current mattress.
We at Flo Mattress believes that we can achieve the ultimate customer’s satisfaction only when our customers are fully aware of what they require and how do we provide them the best. The article aims to make you aware of the common signs that show you need to change your mattress, common forms of back pain, types of mattresses available for back pain, and the criterion to look for while buying a mattress.
Common signs that show you need to change your mattress
Although back pain is the primary reason you need a mattress makeover, various other signs indicate that it’s high time to change your present mattress. Some of the most common signs are list below.
- Mattress’s age: Although there is no stated criterion of when to change the mattress, however, it is advised that mattresses must be changed after around 8-10 years of usage. Most of the mattresses tend to lose their elasticity and firmness after such long continuous usage. Another factor to look into is the accumulation of germs and allergens at the surface and between the foams. After 8-10 years, high accumulation may be expected. For health and hygiene purposes it is suggested to change the mattress.
- Broken springs: In case you feel or hear a broken spring inside your mattress, it is highly recommended to bring a new mattress home as soon as possible. The biggest risk is that you may get hurt from the broken spring. This may invite extra medical expenses. Even if you don’t get hurt, a mattress with broken spring may not be able to provide proper back support. This may lead to backaches.
- Saggy mattress: If you notice that your mattress feels saggy, it’s time to replace it immediately. Sagging of mattress may be due to the wear and tear over the time or due to some broken spring (in spring-type mattress). When the mattress loses its firmness, it is no more able to provide the required back support you require. Hence, its of no use to drag the same mattress longer.
- Painful mornings: If you experience back pain each morning, this may be a sign that your mattress needs replacement. If the mattress you are using is not suitable for your body type or weight, you may experience painful mornings. To avoid such pains, the best thing is to get a thorough knowledge of your body type and the type of mattress that would suit you.
Common forms of back pain
If you have decided to change your mattress in order to resolve your back pain, the first important thing to do is to know the kind of back pain you suffer with. Knowing properly the problem you have it would be far easier to choose what you require. Listed below are the most common types of back pain.
General back pain: This type of back pain is the most common. Such pains can’t be counted under illness; rather, it is a result of a person’s daily routine or postures. People who have bad sitting, standing or sleeping postures typically suffer from such back pain. Lifting heavy objects continuously or doing tiring physical activities may also lead to such back pain.
Such pain may easily be tackled by basic home treatments or mild medication. Sleeping on a mattress providing proper back support may help reduce such pain highly.
- Arthritis: Arthritis refers to a condition in which a person experiences swelling or tenderness of the joints. People suffering from arthritis, experience pain in the joint due to swelling and stiffening. It is more common among elderly people. The correct type of mattress may provide considerable relief and may result in a pain-free morning.
- Herniated disc: Our spine is made up of many bones (vertebrae) stacked upon each other. Each vertebra is separated from each other by a jelly-like disc which helps in providing smooth motion of the vertebrae. A herniated disc, also known as slip disc, is a condition in which the disc between the vertebrae wears out. A herniated disc may exert pressure on the surrounding nerves and may result in pain or numbness. A herniated disc occurs most commonly at the lower back. Specially designed mattresses are recommended for people suffering from a herniated disc, to provide proper support to the affected joint.
- Sciatica: Sciatic nerve is the nerve that runs from either side of the lower back down till the feet. Sciatica is a condition where a person experiences stress on the sciatic nerve which results into severe pain. Sciatica requires a special mattress that provides optimum support and comfort.
Types of mattresses for back pain
Memory foam mattresses are the biggest innovation in the mattress industry. With the advancement in technology, highly comfortable memory foam has now become budget-friendly too. Memory foam takes the shape of our body and relieves the pressure points to provide a comfortable sleep experience. The memory foam mattress is thus considered to be best for people experiencing back pain.
Spring mattresses are the most common traditional mattresses. Springs are arranged between the layers of foam in a uniform pattern in these mattresses. Although these mattresses are very comfortable they are not known to provide back support as good as memory foam.
Such mattresses are a combination of spring and memory foam mattresses. These are made for optimum comfort and back support. Having the best of both types of mattresses, hybrid mattresses may not fit into everyone’s budget.
Criterion to look for while buying a mattress
Other than the filler materials, certain factors make up a good mattress.
A good mattress ensures proper air circulation and keeps you cool while sleeping. Flo Mattress offers to you highly temperature-sensitive mattresses that would keep you cool even on hot summer nights.
Less partner disturbance
Sleeping with a partner who tosses and turns a lot may ruin your sleep experience. Flo Mattress ensures zero partner disturbances by evenly distributing the motion.
No sinking into the bed
Using a mattress into which you sink deep while sleeping may cause you several problems. Such mattresses don’t provide proper back and spine support which results in back pain. Mattresses at Flo Mattress are made up of proprietary responsive foam base that provides the required firmness and responds perfectly to your body weight and thus avoids sinking into the bed.
One must properly check the warranty provided by the mattress manufacturers to ensure the longevity and durability of the mattress. Flo Mattress provides a 10-year on all its mattresses.